Inspired - An Exhibition At The American Museum

Since starting my blog I have posted various times under the title "Chair Project". These have been documenting the main parts of the preparation throughout the year for a mixed-media textiles exhibition at the American Museum in Bath. Inspired is the second exhibition which I am taking part in, and runs from 28/05/2011 - 05/06/2011, I hope it will be as successful as the first. This is the finished piece 'United' and my statement describing it below.




'United' is a piece inspired by the symbolism of America and the George P.A. Healy 1868 painting, 'The Peacemakers'.

I originally looked at how I could use symbolism; the buildings, the eagle and the flag to create a unique piece, however as I was working I narrowed my ideas down to the colours in the American flag.

The painting depicts a meeting which took place during the final days of the American Civil War in which the main figures in America decided what was to happen.

The three colours used are taken from the flag however I want them to hold specific meanings; Red symbolises valour, hardiness and the bloodshed, Blue symbolises perseverance and power and White represents the innocence of people caught up in this war and the peace agreed on at the end.

The leaders 'United' in order to end the war, as the colours unite to make the National flag.


 The peacemakers

No comments:

Post a Comment